What Is Other Structures On Homeowners Insurance? | Iott Insurance
Skip to main content Skip to navigation

What Is “Other Structures” on Homeowners Insurance Policies?

Navigating the world of homeowners insurance can sometimes feel like exploring a maze, with various terms and coverages around every corner. Among these, “Other Structures” coverage is a gem hidden in plain sight, offering essential protection beyond the walls of your home. Let’s unpack the question of “What is other structures on homeowners insurance”, why it’s crucial for your property, and how it ensures your peace of mind in the face of unexpected events.

So, let’s dive in and shed some light on this vital aspect of safeguarding your home and its surroundings!

What Does Other Structures Coverage in Homeowners Insurance Encompass?

If you own a home, or recently purchased one (congratulations!) then you know there’s a lot to look over when it comes to nailing down your homeowners insurance policy. You may have even noticed a specific item called “Coverage B”. That’s another name for Other Structures coverage!

This part of a larger homeowners policy is designed to cover structures on your property that are not attached to your main dwelling. You probably guessed that means sheds and detached garages – and you’d be right! But that’s only part of what Coverage B can cover.

Other structures on your property could include things like in-ground pools, detached garages, fences, and sheds. If it’s a constructed part of your property, and not physically attached to the primary dwelling, there’s a good chance it can be covered under an Other Structures part of a policy.

The specifics here are determined by your policy provider. In some cases, certain structures could fall under your primary dwelling insurance. That would include cases like an indoor pool, or an in-ground pool that shares a foundation with your home. It’s always best to confirm with your documents and policy provider!

Why Is Other Structures Coverage Important for You?

When you think of damage to your home, you often primarily focus on what it means for your living space. It’s prudent, after all, to ensure your home is safe! But financially speaking, damage to your outer structures can be devastating if you’re on the hook for covering all those costs yourself.

If your detached garage is catastrophically damaged, the cost to replace it from the ground up can average in the tens of thousands. When you consider the cost for repairing foundation, flooring, the structure, electrical wiring, and the garage door cost itself, you could be looking at $30,000 or more.

For every additional structure you have around your property, the financial risks of not taking “Other Structures” coverage seriously goes up dramatically.

Severe windstorms, fires, and other covered perils can happen to structures anywhere on your property. And while protecting your dwelling should be your primary concern, it’s a good idea to ensure your whole property is protected under thorough coverage.

Types of Structures Typically Considered Other Structures

When investigating “What is Other Structures on Homeowners Insurance” it’s beneficial to have an understanding of what types of structures fit in that definition. Here are some of the most common structures that fit under Coverage B or Other Structures coverage:

  • Detached Garage
  • Sheds
  • Pools
  • Detached Garage
  • Green Houses
  • Fences
  • Barns (some non-commercial)
  • Gazebos

Keep in mind that several considerations apply. For instance, barns used for commercial purposes would require specific coverage separate from one tied to a homeowners policy like this. Additionally, as we mentioned above, pools can be a case-by-case scenario depending on the type of pool and how it’s constructed in relation to your primary dwelling.

The easiest way to get an understanding of what parts of your property fall under Coverage B is to speak with an experienced insurance agent like our team here at Iott Insurance!

What Amount of Other Structures Coverage Do You Need?

So, where do you start with your Other Structures policy? The “standard” of this coverage is typically set to 10% of your Coverage A (which is your primary dwelling coverage.) So if your dwelling policy is for a $300,000 home, then your other structure coverage could be $30,000.

That doesn’t mean it’s locked at 10% though! Depending on your property, you may need more than that. If you live surrounded by beautiful outbuildings like barns, pools, sheds, and expensive fencing, it’s a smart idea to speak with your agent to see if increasing your coverage makes sense.

Don’t Assume Your Other Structures Are Automatically Covered!

Generally speaking, if you have a homeowners insurance policy, you likely have Other Structures coverage. However, that’s not a guarantee! Coverage B is specifically not a legally required part of a homeowners insurance policy.

That means, depending on your situation and provider, you could get a homeowners insurance policy that offers no protection for your outer structures.

Likewise, the specific use of your property always comes into consideration. If your property has commercially used features or structures, it’s critical to clarify what specific policies are needed to cover the various buildings you own.

That’s why it’s best to always speak with your insurance agency or provider to get the best understanding of the insurance products and endorsements that fit your specific needs. Iott Insurance has been serving families and businesses in southeast Michigan for decades – we’re always here to help if you need it!

Contact Iott Insurance for a Quote Today

Iott Insurance has been a part of southeast Michigan for over 50 years. We can help you plan your insurance needs and find you the right policies or plans to protect you.

Get a quote today!

Or you can visit one of our three offices in southeast Michigan:

Blissfield, MI – (517) 628-4574

Lambertville, MI – (734) 807-3825

Petersburg, MI – (734) 215-9884

Follow us on Facebook for news and community updates.